The New Year is approaching! And that means that many of you are preparing your New Year’s Resolutions. Most likely, they will involve self-improvement goals, especially regarding losing weight or getting in shape. Great for you! We encourage our Fords Foot and Ankle Care patients to exercise for health – for overall health is necessary for foot and ankle health!
Here are a few tips for getting started:
- Start smart: Consult your doctor if this is your first time starting an exercise program.
- Listen to your body. If you have pain anywhere, take care of that instead of “powering through”. For those who have chronic issues, take the correct precautions (e.g. braces or orthotics) to prevent further injury.
- Get the right shoes. If you never paid attention to the different types of sneakers, do your research. Read up online or ask a specialist at a sneaker store to find the right shoes for the type of activity you’ll engage in.
- Dress appropriately, especially outside. Even if you’re planning on working up a sweat, start your body off warm and protect from cold weather.
- Start slow and small and gradually increase. Set reasonable goals – if you’re not sure about what is reasonable, find a buddy who is more seasoned in the activity.
- Always warm up and stretch to get your blood pumping.
- Make sure to hydrate since winter weather is drier.
Some other resolutions you might set for your feet and ankles:
- Increase your step count. If you received a pedometer or activity tracker as a gift for the holidays, it is time to put it to use!
- Get into Yoga: It will show you the condition of your feet and ankle’s flexibility, strength, and balance.
- Discard/donate your old shoes. Also, stop wearing those shoes that are uncomfortable and cause pain.
- Take care of your corns, calluses, and any other dry skin issues that you may have been ignoring.
- Make your annual appointment with your favorite podiatrist!
In fact, be proactive and make an appointment with Dr. Carl Ingrassia, our board-certified podiatrist. Our team is ready to greet you at our Fords, NJ office and welcome you into the New Year! Call us today at (732) 738-4441. Happy New Year!